Welcome to the Wandering Monk Rolemaster Forums. Click here to register with us.

KOT (Kingdom of Thanetia)

My longest running campaign world.Image

Moderator: The Keeper

Sponsored by The Keeper
Hosted on RM2e.net

Board index  Worlds Kell

#1) 

KOT (Kingdom of Thanetia)

Post Number:#1  Postby The Keeper » 04 Oct 2009, 11:37

I should note here, as many of you might already know, much of my original layout for Kell's history was taken when our home was robbed in 1997. So, working from memory I cannot always layout the specific, but am forced to be somewhat generic or general in terms.

In any case, here is the "remembered" history of the Kingdom of Thanetia...

Originally I intended Thanetia to be a "solid" kingdom. And by that I meant a kingdom that had a stable ruler, a decent economy and a decent living environment (i.e., good and decent nobility). A peasant rebellion had happened in the recent past which established this solidness. It was not always the case.

Thanetia was once part of the Perth Theocracy which was a much older society ruled by clerics of Kellina. The main church HQ was in Perth which is now a southern city in the Duchy of Perth right next to the sea. In any case, the Cammorian Dominion invaded and subjugated the Perth Theocracy for a period of time. When the Dominion broke up most of the soldiers serving in the Dominion army settled the western half of what was the Theocracy. Thus, when the survivors of the old Theocracy began to recover many of them migrated to the eastern half and formed the Kingdom of Thanetia. The capitol was located at Thanetia at that time.

With the disputes going on between the Imperium (what the ex Dominion soldiers now named the old northern part of the democracy) and the new Duchy of Perth, Thanetia was ignored by the Imperium. The Imperium did not have the strength to retake the Duchy, let alone try and subjugate Thanetia which is about 3 or 4 times the size of the Duchy.

A king was crowned in Thanetia, one of the stronger men who had help form the new kingdom and he set about making a nation. Roads, guildes, business, quality of life, sea trade, all these things began to take off. The Warders were reestablished (Warders were wandering judges/church authorities that traversed the Theocracy in their heyday). He passed this on to his son when he died in old age and for a time things were still good. Then the son eventually revealed his craziness and then three generations of lunatics drove the country in to the ground.

Finally, in 3300 the peasantry rose up and took over. By 3320 they had managed to take everything back from the corrupt and crazy nobility and with the leadership of Hugh vonSahral entered in to a new dawn.

Hugh unfortunately was none too smart and managed to get himself killed in an ill-advised invastion of the Imperium. Rulership passed on to his son Arion who is now in the process of removing all the crazy lunatic restrictions that the nobility had placed on the crown.

More to come...

Show post links

The Keeper
Site Admin
Site Admin
Progress to next rank:
36.5%
Accolyte
Accolyte

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Topic author
Local time: 20 Nov 2017, 06:30
Online: 20d 17h 40m 4s
Have thanks: 1 time

#2) 

Re: KOT (Kingdom of Thanetia)

Post Number:#2  Postby Blackthorne » 13 Nov 2010, 17:16

Ah, Thanetia. A wholesome sounding place full of semi-noble nobility. Sounds like a good place to have some urban adventures

Show post links

Blackthorne

#3) 

Re: KOT (Kingdom of Thanetia)

Post Number:#3  Postby The Keeper » 13 Nov 2010, 17:26

I'm going to read that as if you're serious. :D

There are a lot of opportunities in Kell, south of Thanetia where the main church is of course. As the church dominates there and is involved in many things there is a lot that can be done. Thanetia itself is of course at this time a hotbed of political intrigue. Not everyone was happy that the vonSahrals came to power. Especially once Arion managed to start slipping from their bonds. Arcadia, the old capitol, has quite a bit of history and while more sedate there are plenty of opportunities with the nobility there.

Thanetia has a very large merchant trade. It's organized and it's got it's hands in many different types of pies in many different countries. They have enough power to warrant the King's consideration. Cyril Argus is one of the top merchant leaders. So, opportunities with merchants and politics.

I just had a concept for something that drew the original party out of the country. Of course the other campaign is also being dealt with out of country. But there's still lots of gaming scenarios that could happen here.

Show post links

The Keeper
Site Admin
Site Admin
Progress to next rank:
36.5%
Accolyte
Accolyte

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Topic author
Local time: 20 Nov 2017, 06:30
Online: 20d 17h 40m 4s
Have thanks: 1 time