Welcome to the Wandering Monk Rolemaster Forums. Click here to register with us.

Kell: A brief overview

My longest running campaign world.Image

Moderator: The Keeper

Sponsored by The Keeper
Hosted on RM2e.net

Board index  Worlds Kell

#1) 

Kell: A brief overview

Post Number:#1  Postby The Keeper » 21 Mar 2008, 12:35

Kell is my first created world. I first laid down it's foundations in 1991 after creating a very basic outline of my universe. I started by making a map. I wanted to create a very large world so I used some very large graph paper. I drew the basic outilines and then started filling in geography. Once I had that down, I started creating various "capitol" cities by randomly placing dots on the map. Those cities formed the names of the original kingdoms that were eventually created.

At the time I had not intended for the main focus of the campaign to be on the Kehnon peninsula, but as that particular area was filled in first (and it is a very large map) that's where everythng started. At the time I had not even worked out how many continents the world consisted of, nor how my universe timeline was integrated into the world itself. At the time I don't think it was necessary given that I was running a campaign for one person in a very small portion of the map.

It should also be noted that Kell is an amalgamation of a bunch of borrowed ideas from a few different fantasy authors; mainly David Eddings and Robert Jordan with a few ideas from Steven Lawhead and David Duncun. Also, the old AD&D module Isle of Dread figures in prominently at some point — with modifications.

Continents:
Five. Isiryon being the only one that is named and it is the largest. The total land area of Kell is approximately 5x the size of our Earth. The Kehnon peninsula is but one area on the Isiryon continent.
Note that you might see reference on this site to Isiryon as Kell. This reference will always be in regards to my reworking of the original into a book outline.

Original Kingdoms:
Kingdom of Thanetia [Lawful Good]
Cyr Domains [Lawful Neutral]
Duchy of Perth [Lawful Evil]
Lorn Imperium [Lawful Evil]
Koros Empire [Lawful Evil]
Ehlovar (Elven nation) [Lawful Neutral]
Karthin [Lawful Neutral]

I provide AD&D alignments to indicate a basic starting point as to the general outlook of the population/government of these kingdoms. As a guide it does not indicate that there are no other alignment types within those kingdoms. There are certainly chaotic good individuals existing in the Lorn Imperium for example. Also, I realize that Rolemaster does not utilitze alignment, but I have always seen it as a useful holdover from AD&D that I use to provide direction.

NEXT UP: A breakdown of the original kingdoms and their rulers. Also some info on integrating Kell into my universe outline.

Show post links

The Keeper
Site Admin
Site Admin
Progress to next rank:
36.5%
Accolyte
Accolyte

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Topic author
Local time: 18 Nov 2017, 06:42
Online: 20d 17h 40m 4s
Have thanks: 1 time

#2) 

Re: Kell: A brief overview

Post Number:#2  Postby ghyle » 25 Mar 2008, 22:18

Have you thought of writing up Kell as a gamemaster resource?

I'd be happy to help with miscellaneous details, of course.

Show post links

ghyle

#3) 

Re: Kell: A brief overview

Post Number:#3  Postby The Keeper » 26 Mar 2008, 08:47

Well, not in the sense of like say an actual retail game world. I've never entertained the idea. I had a website at one point and was trying to push this stuff myself, so from that standpoint, yes. My problem though is that I believe I'm going to run into a number of copyright issues. It's one thing when you are using stuff (place names, ideas, etc) just for your own gaming group of people. But you run into those issues when you try and package it and sell it.

Example. Kell is the name of this world right? Well, in my world Kell is also a city name - which is fine. Until you realize that in David Eddings' book series The Mallorean, Kell is a also a city in those books and one of the main characters is the Seeress of Kell. That's just a start. I have Atans, also a concept lifted from David Eddings, the damane concept from Robert Jordan, and from Glen Cook I ripped off the Black Company, and so on.

Now, my solution has been renaming and rejuggling some of this stuff and I am working on a book about it. But I never considered reworking it and packaging it as a game world. That might be a great idea. I will take you up on your offer to help.

Keep watching here for more stuff so you (and others) can get an idea. Today, I will be posting my outline (work permitting) for my universe and Kell. It's a general outline. I had one more detailed at one point, but that's another story I'll post later.

Thank you for your offer and the idea. Something I never really gave consideration to.

Show post links

The Keeper
Site Admin
Site Admin
Progress to next rank:
36.5%
Accolyte
Accolyte

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Topic author
Local time: 18 Nov 2017, 06:42
Online: 20d 17h 40m 4s
Have thanks: 1 time