Welcome to the Wandering Monk Rolemaster Forums. Click here to register with us.

What am I doing here?

Current session summaries.

Moderator: The Keeper

Board index  Worlds Kell Sessions

#1) 

What am I doing here?

Post Number:#1  Postby The Keeper » 25 Mar 2008, 13:28

OK at first glance you might be wondering why I have a forum here to cover my various gaming sessions. Well, the point is three-fold. First, I want to provide materials for other GMs. If you see something you can use, or my files here spark an idea - go ahead and use it. If it all bores you, that's okay too. Secondly, it's a record for me and others who have gamed with me. And third I can provide a synopsis of events for those I am currently gaming with.

Some notes on my conventions here as I came up with a classification system that works for me. It may help you. I classify my campaigns in Kell by year and by a letter designation. If there is a subset of that I will break it down further. For instance: 3325A_A.qxp. The first number is the current age in the game and then the year. Thus 3325 is the year 325 in the third age. The A is my A campaign and the second "A" designation is the first derivative of this particular campaign - in this instance, the very first one. The file extension is simply for QuarkXPress, which is the program I use to edit my session files. Overkill I know, but I am a graphic designer by trade and am far more comfortable in that program than I am in Microsoft Word (which I used previously).

Inside my files I have an outline breakdown you might also find useful. Here it is:

Adventure Outline

1. Brief Notes/Recap
Here I'll talk about what happened previously and any pertinent notes I want to give myself.

2. Overview
An overview (general) of what I intend to do.

3. Scenario
1. Descriptions
1. See
2. Hear
3. Feel (touch)
4. Smell
5. Taste (if applicable)
Here I detail everything I plan to do. What the characters see, hear, sense, etc... (if important). I also include any plans based on what I think the characters might do. If/then statements.

2. Contingency Plans
1. Design scenarios with alternate paths to success, alternate outcomes. Do NOT predestine characters or make assumptions of success, where failure will result in the failure of the scenario. Do not base outcomes on the success or failure of any one character (see above sentence).
2. Escape/rescue plans without contrivance. The way OUT!
Pretty self explanatory. I had to learn this the hard way. And it just makes for better roleplaying.

4. Conditionals
Any stuff that actually is conditional (for whatever reason) on what the players may do.

5. NPCs/Creatures & Treasures [Stats]
Stats for any creatures the characters may encounter. It's handy to list it here when you are referring to your notes during play.

6. Characters and Interactions
Any characters the players may encounter and the likely reactions those characters may have to them.

7. Notes & Record-keeping
Any notes you need to remind yourself of things that pertain to the functioning of the game.

Show post links

The Keeper
Site Admin
Site Admin
Progress to next rank:
36.5%
Accolyte
Accolyte

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Topic author
Local time: 22 Nov 2017, 15:17
Online: 20d 17h 40m 4s
Have thanks: 1 time