Welcome to the Wandering Monk Rolemaster Forums. Click here to register with us.

3325A_A

Current session summaries.

Moderator: The Keeper

Board index  Worlds Kell Sessions

#1) 

3325A_A

Post Number:#1  Postby The Keeper » 25 Mar 2008, 15:18

This document was intended to pick up where I had left off with my original campaign which was one on one with another gamer friend of mine. Since he is now in California and I am now in Arizona the idea was to connect via Skype and roleplay that way. Unfortunately, at the time World of Warcraft was what my old group was playing. I did not have a PC at the time and my Mac did not meet the system requirements for the Mac version. Not to mention that buying the game and justifying a monthly charge was just not going to happen and so, it just never panned out. Maybe something here will be useful for others though.

1.1 Explanatory Notes/Recap
All notes are based on fragmentary documentation and memory. Calendar states that the last recorded day for Nigel was 26 Sigrid 3326 [February 26, 3326].
Reasonable speculations:
Durvin is alive. The bandit garrison at the keep was overrun by the thanes when they took that fortress. The bandits were imprisoned simply because they weren’t worth the time to kill and because Ephriam (who led the attacking forces) misunderstood Durvin’s standing in the Domains. Durvin would have been slain outright had Ephriam realized he was a simple bandit “King” and not an actual ruler. Durvin was later rescued by Nigel and a small troop. Currently, he is an unwilling participant in Captain Nim’s government of Cyr. CONFIRMED VIA NOTES: Durvin is in fact alive and has been cooperating with Nigel. Durvin’s wife was taken by Elistae (a female archer) by coach to Nigel’s parents home in Thanetia. Elistae further hand-delivered to Lord Chamberlin Vance a note from Nigel explaining current events and detailing an attack on the Empire’s southern border (of which I do not currently recall).
Note about Nim. Nim is Captain of the Black Company, the first of the detached extra-ordinary units that Arion von Sahral has raised to defend and advance the interests of Thanetia within the Cyr Domains. His commission is to subjugate the Domains to the will of his king and by virtue of that fact Arion has named him Governor of the Cyr Domains, automatically assuming the Domains to now be his vassal. This of course, as I recall, is at odds with the way Nigel wants to view things. But because he is a citizen of Thanetia, and Arion is his king, and because he is technically enlisted in the Black Company and wears their uniform – currently he is not doing anything against Nim. This as we will see, will become an issue later on and a choice will have to be made.
Which leads us to the Black Company itself. This is a 100 man force of heavy infantry. In game terms this means no less than level 5 fighters; men and women who have proven themselves in combat, are experienced in moutainous terrain and are heavily armed and armored. The Black Company is split into 9 patrols of ten men each and a command group of ten officers. That is, Captain Nim oversees 9 patrol leaders, of which Sebastian is one.
The Black Company force is small, but it will be joined by the Blue Company within 6 months of this date. Also, the Black Company is technically considered a “reserve” in Nim’s new government as Nigel and his allies are supposed to be overseeing a raising of troops (levy) from the Domains. These levies are supposed to be doing the actual heavy lifting while the Black Company (and other later arrivals) see to securing the Domains for the crown.
No information is recorded for Jin Shara, but she will be returning. I only remember her last location as being in the Domains. I am fuzzy on the details of whether or not there was a discussion with Durvin (I recall there being one), but do not remember the details. In any case, she seperated from Nigel at some point. I do not remember her death, so must assume she is still alive. My limited notes state that she needed the feather of a griffin to complete a difficult spell. I am going to make the assumption that she returned to Thanetia. I am also going to make the assumption that she completed her task and has moved on. Subsequently, with the no small status this women has in Thanetia, she has heard some rumors of Nigel and his deeds. In Rolemaster, Jin is now an Archmage. Jin is intrigued about the current situation in the Cyr Domains and has an interest to join Nigel and his band. To this end she will present herself at the village of Racic, after tripping no small number of alarms and will present herself to Nim, as Nigel is currently not in the camp.
Dhanna is of course still with Nigel.
Nigel’s lieutenants (actually Nim’s) have been assigned the tasks of identifying good ground to construct forts and other defenses with the interest of establishing semi-permanent to permanent garrisons (manned of course, by raised levy troops from Cyr).
The thanes have also not been lax in this regard and have set out a plan to construct forts and defenses themselves. Some of these will most likely conflict with the plans of the Cyr forces.
Notes about some of the NPCs that Nigel has encountered. It was never mentioned in any previous file, but Ephriam’s purpose/assignment is as a free captain within the invading force. He is nominially under the command of Yerrin (keep commander), but his purvue is the Domains themselves. He is to seek out and terminate anything that might become a problem or hinder the invading armies. To this end he has the authority to commandeer or otherwise assume control of any force or resource he deems necessary to further this end. Ephriam also has the right to enter into any contract or agreement with anyone/anything that will advance the ultimate goals of the Koros Empire. This is the main reason Nigel finds Ephriam everywhere but with an actual command.
Yerrin is mentioned in Matt’s notes. But I do not remember who this NPC was. Consequently, I am assigning him to be the garrison commander at the keep. His responsibility is the overall subjugation of the domains and he will dispatch forces to this end. One of his commanders, is Britt Yanther. However, unlike the rest of his commanders she has a bit more autonomy than the others in that she can pick where she chooses to go. Currently, she is looking for Nigel. AFTER DISCUSSION WITH MATT: Yerrin is the local clerical leader. He is the person in charge over all the clerics within the invading forces. As such, he has authority over Ephriam because the clerics have authority over the thanes (not “true” thanes, however, who are their own order). Yerrin is responsible to see that the doctrines of the Lorn church are followed by all those under his command. He is the head of authority over all clerics attached to the invasion force.
Tuloch, a new NPC is the de-facto commander of the entire invasion force. Hithertofore, all the thane NPCs have been what I now consider to be “standard” thanes. That is they have title and authority, but are not my Rolemaster incarnation of “evil-thane.” Tuloch, however, is the real thing. He is a Chaos Lord, 13th level. See his accompanying sheet for details.
Arrith is mentioned in Nigel’s notes. I recall a meeting with this abomination, but not any of the details. I have, however, finally resolved Arrith’s purpose and reason for existence within the game and therefore his motivations and reasons for being in the Cyr Domains. Arrith is a servant of Miklos, who is the gatekeeper of Hell and Nehkron’s right hand man. Thus, Arrith is diametrically opposed to Kellina. He has raised and maintained a force of goblins within the Domains with the enventual purpose of invading and conquering Kell. With the invasion of the thanes this has thrown a small kink in the plan, although this plan is secondary in nature. Arrith exists in the evil and disgusting things. He is the additional edge of fear when people are frightened. He is the ovebearing rage or cold detachment in the attrocities of man and demihuman. He is decay and putrification. He exists in these things and causes these things (although he is not a god and these things he “is” or “does” are not part of the natural order). Thus, his primary purpose here is to be a dagger in Kellina’s side by doing what he does.
In more recent memories, Nigel had been under commission by Arion to secure an alliance with Orkinlahd and thus bring in the “good” orks and the orogs with them on Thanetia’s side. Ultimately, a deal was reached with the chief of the ruling tribe in Kellnir. It is also recalled that it would take time for the agreement to propigate throughout Orkinlahd, which means that the eastern half of the ork country will be last to realize what is going on.
Also, I believe that it had been made known to Nigel that each clan chief could object to the agreement (except in time of declared war the ruling chief does not speak for all), although there is a ritual for that and the challenge must be made at the ancestral home of the ruling clan chief. Details, details. However, if I remember correctly, the ruling clan chief of the Orogs had also been present at the meeting and had agreed for the Orogs. [The Orogs are independent inside of Orkinlahd, although their chief answers to the Ork chief]. Unlike, the Orks, the Orog chief’s decisions are not debatable.
Ultimately, what this means to Nigel is that it will take time for an “Ork” force to arrive in Cyr, but the Orogs are already on their way.
In regards to the Orogs, a now lost outline had specified that there was an invasion of Koros Empire troops into the Domains at some point after the Settling with the intent to add the Cyr Domains to the Empire’s territory. That force, unlike the Imperium invasio force into the Perth, was fully intent on taking the Cyr Domains, was sanctioned by the Lorn chuch (and thus the government) and had mustered the necessary resources for the invasion. However, just like the Imperium/Perth conflict the Koros Union forces were decimated. The Orogs had chosen to settle the northern border between the Cyr Domains and the Koros Empire. This clan is different from the ones in Orkinlahd and they are much smaller in number (even today), but they were more than a match for the Koros troops. The Koros Empire has only just now recovered from that experience and dared to cross the border. The invasion force has dealt with the few Orogs they have encountered in the northern areas of the Domains, but so far have managed to avoid any pitched battles. That will soon change as the Orog clans from Orkinlahd meet with the Orogs from the Domains.
Finally, after discussion with Matt there remains one niggling end to wrap up. Apparently at some point Nigel had to work with Ephriam to resolve a problem. I do not recall what this was, but the exchange issue of Ephriam’s sword for Dhanna was part of it. I do not believe the Sethanon issue had ever been run because there is no mention of names that would be in Matt’s notes if it had. So it had to have been something else because I think I had decided at some point that the “Sethanon” thing was stupid. In any case, it will be run now.
2.0 Overview
Currently, and from discussion with Matt, Nigel is involved in trying to extricate a cow from a ditch. According to my Planner there is a village in 70-X called Nomi. I believe I had marked this as a village there that had trade with Sethanon in preparation for this scenario. It was never played but it it stayed listed on my planner. I also have no map for 70-X so it is not indicated anywhere.
Recall fails as to exactly why this cow was an issue. I do recall that Nigel had intended to completely ignore the issue, but that Dhanna has persuaded him by virtue of “…it’s important Nigel” to attempt to get the cow out of the ditch. At the time I don’t believe I had a reason for Dhanna to say this, so I am creating one now with the purpose to ultimately lead Nigel to Sethanon.
I also do not recall what area of the Domains Nigel had been in, but for purposes of THIS adventure it is now 70-X, and it is near Nomi.
The cow belongs to a local farmer who has a homestead southeast of Nomi in the current area where Nigel is struggling with the cow. It is not a dairy cow, but a steer and the farmer considers it to be part of his small stock of cattle intended for sale. This particular farmer, name of Padraig McCulloch, is attempting to expand beyond farming and create an actual market for beef within his local area. The steer is important to this as it will allow him to continue propigation of his stock.
McCulloch’s steer broke from it’s pen during the night previous and has been wandering the hills in the area until it dumbly fell into the ditch. Fortunately for the steer it was too stupid to break it’s neck or injure itself. It has been stuck in this ditch only for about 12 hours when Nigel finds it.
Some notes on Nomi. Nomi is a large village of approximately 600 people. It is well known in the area and somewhat known among the rest of the Domains. It attained the size it is currently because these are the descendants of the Sethanon traders that used to live in the village and trade with the dwarves. At one time it’s population was counted at around 1300 citizens. The citizens of Nomi tend to be independent with an interest in trade. Toward that end, the citizens tend to be creative in their business endeavors, hence Padraig McCulloch’s idea about creating a market for beef.
Nomi has many outlying farms and homesteads and many of these people trade with the village on a regular basis.
Like much of the Domains the citizenry tends to be related although cases of inbreeding have been rare and usually dealt with harshly.
The mayor of Nomi is Bairre Mac Carthaigh. The Wisdom is Nóra Nic Chuilinn. Nóra is actually a herbalist and does not have magical ability. For that, the people turn to the village healer Caitlín Nic Dhiarmaid. Caitlín is technically a witch (which would have made her a wisdom in any other village than this one) who has access to healer spell lists. Nóra has the position of Wisdom through virtue of lineage and local custom, which because of the dominance of clan Nic Chuilinn in this area is one of the exceptions to the general rules of being a Wisdom in the Domains. However, this being the case, that is not to say that magical ability has been completely absent in the descendents of this line from the trading days. While Nóra does not have the ability herself, her great grandmother was a fearsome witch as well as some of her other forebears and her daughter is currently being tutled by Caitlín as she is magically capable.
The leader of the local trading guilde is Rían Mac Maol Eoin. He is the second most powerful man in the village (the first being the mayor). The Wisdom council is run by Nóra and her second is Caitlín. Other female villagers of a different profession than Caitlín are considered to be inferior (although are not treated that way) and operate under the eye of Caitlín. They are commonly referred to as the Knitting Circle and no small number of them sit on the Wisdom Council.
The mayor has no formal council, but when duty calls upon him he usually follows through with the assistance of Rían and one or two other men recognized as leaders in the community. Bairre has an antagonistic relationship with Nóra because they genuinely hate each other, although neither has undermined the authority of the other. They maintain a professional respect, although Nóra frequently berates Bairre for holding many of his informal “councils” at the local tavern.
As usual, no business can be conducted within village limits without at least the tacit approval of Bairre and Nóra. Padraig McCulloch’s idea has been approved and is enthusiastically supported by Bairre although Nóra does not think much of it. Rían approved the monetary loan to Padraig to start up and has a certain interest in the business. All of Padraig’s stock (500 head) was purchased on a business expedition into the Koros Empire. The steer was the most expensive of the lot.
Consequently, Padraig, Rían and Bairre has quite a lot riding on this deal and want to make it work. Padraig is determined to recover his steer.
In regards to the invasion, Nomi saw very little conflict. The village was outside of the main path of the invasion force. The Koros troops were focused on their objective which was Durvin’s keep and consequently left only small scouting parties behind the main force. These mainly consisted of lower level evil clerics and pressed soldiers with the occaisonal professional armsman intended to keep an eye on those pressed into service. Typically, these small parties generall blew into the local villages they found, announced that the Domains (including said village) were now under their control and then made a cursory example of someone to prove their point. Without the manpower to establish a prescence the parties generally then moved on. This is exactly what happend here in Nomi.
The example taught to the village of Nomi was received with quiet fury and the cleric of the Koros party soon found himself beaten and strung up, his magic negated by both surprise and a concerted effort by Caitlín and Nóra’s daughter.
3.0 Scenario
Scenario
3.1 Descriptions
Descriptions
3.1.1 See
See
3.1.2 Hear
Hear
3.1.3 Feel (Touch)
Feel (Touch)
3.1.4 Smell
Smell
3.1.5 Taste(If Applicable)
Taste (If Applicable)
3.2 Contingency Plans
Contingency Plans. Design scenarios with alternate paths to success, alternate outcomes. Do NOT predestine characters or make assumptions of success, where failure will result in the failure of the scenario. Do not base outcomes on the success or failure of any one character (see above sentence). Make escape/rescue plans that do not appear contrived. Give the characters a way OUT!
4.0 Conditionals
Conditionals
5.0 NPCs/Creatures & Treasures [Stats]
NPCs/Creatures & Treasures [Stats]
6.0 Characters and Interactions
Characters and Interactions
7.0 Notes & Record-keeping
Characters and Interactions

Show post links

The Keeper
Site Admin
Site Admin
Progress to next rank:
36.5%
Accolyte
Accolyte

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Topic author
Local time: 23 Nov 2017, 06:10
Online: 20d 17h 40m 4s
Have thanks: 1 time

#2) 

Re: 3325A_A

Post Number:#2  Postby The Keeper » 19 Sep 2010, 08:51

At the beginning of this post it states that Ephriam was unaware at the time that he attacked the Keep that Durvin was a simple bandit. I am adding here that Ephriam is STILL unaware of this. Ephriam did his job and moved on. No one has yet informed him otherwise. It just has not been a topic of conversation and Ephriam is not operating anymore in the immediate area of the Keep. Logically, if it is considered at all by Ephriam, the thinking is then that Durvin's authority only extended so far. This is not an illogical thought process, especially for the Domains. It may however, serve later on to Ephriam's disadvantage.

Show post links

The Keeper
Site Admin
Site Admin
Progress to next rank:
36.5%
Accolyte
Accolyte

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Topic author
Local time: 23 Nov 2017, 06:10
Online: 20d 17h 40m 4s
Have thanks: 1 time