Welcome to the Wandering Monk Rolemaster Forums. Click here to register with us.

Lost to time

General roleplayer discussions.

Moderator: The Keeper

Board index  Roleplayers General

#1) 

Lost to time

Post Number:#1  Postby The Keeper » 29 Jan 2012, 11:42

Many of you may be a bit like me. I have a small archive of characters I've played over the years. Most are RM characters, but quite a few are from other games. These are characters that were played a lot, acquired a lot of experience, gained a lot of things, did a lot of things and went many places. Some were played for only one game or a series of games and never returned to. Either because the scenario didn't work or the players just weren't interested. Sometimes, the character just wasn't right for the scenario it was created for. Other characters may have died right away or you may have played them for a long time before they died. In most cases however, you as the player probably invested some of yourself into those characters.

I know I did. Some of them more than others, but all had something special. It's that specialness that drives me to this post. I haven't been seriously gaming as a part of a group for over twelve years now. I was able to game via Skype for several years and there was always a lot of hope that I'd be involved with more from time to time.

Now, however, life changes things. By this point it's not like high school or college where you have a lot of time and don't have to worry about anything else. However, I have always had a passion for gaming. I have characters I wish to play, but I know I won't ever get back to some of them in their original adventures because of circumstance. They are lost to time. Yes, there may be a point sometime in the future where they can be played again in a different adventure or circumstance, but the fact that that small slice of their time will never return saddens me somehwat. I would have liked to see the journey complete. This is easier with some of the characters that had long careers, especially ones that retired. I can always tell myself they are still there enjoying their retirement or doing what they normally would have done.

But the others. Where they never had a chance to develop or the story was left hanging. That, I'd like to see completed. But life's not fair and what I want I don't always get. I take small comfort in the fact that most of them are still alive, if not being used. Perhaps someday I can return to some of them. I hope so.

Do you have any characters you feel this way about?

The one on my mind at this time was a young sailor named Rodrin Tamerick. He had one or two adventures at sea and was doing well enough before the scenario was abandoned and not returned to. Thus, I never got to experience his full potential. He's lost in time at that young age with possibilities that will probably never be explored. It's just a little sad.

Show post links

The Keeper
Site Admin
Site Admin
Progress to next rank:
36.5%
Accolyte
Accolyte

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Topic author
Local time: 20 Nov 2017, 06:29
Online: 20d 17h 40m 4s
Have thanks: 1 time